Monday, March 24, 2008

A theory of love

I remember the academic courses at Jordan University to be quite dull and boring but one course really affected me and it was called "Introduction to social psychology". I used to read ahead of the class because the topics discussed in it were so compelling.

Topics in that course explored how humans change their behaviour when others are present, how soldiers are convinced to kill in the war and exploration of some of the theories related to love.Now that was new to me and i would love to share this theory that stuck with me since university. It is called the Triangular Theory of Love. I actually refer to it when i discuss such topics with my friends.

This theory was developed by a psychologist named Robert Sternberg and according to him love consists of three components:

1) Intimacy:

Is the feeling of closeness that exists between two people.
Intimacy is characterized by feelings of caring, concern, understanding, trust, and closeness between two partners. Intimate partners are good friends and support each other in times of need. Intimacy is primarily emotional in nature.


2) Passion:

It is the drive that leads to romance, physical attraction and intercourse.
Passion is characterized by intense desire, feelings of longing, need of the partner, and joy at the thought of seeing the partner (and anxiety or worry at the thought of separation). Passionate partners crave each other's presence, much as do people who experience an addiction. Passion is primarily motivational in nature.

3) Decision / Commitment:
The decision and commitment to further a loving relationship.


The "amount" of love one experiences depends on the absolute strength of these three components while the "kind" of love one experiences depends on their strengths relative to each other.

Based on the different combination of the components we have the following eight types:

1) Non love: is the absence of the three love components

2) Liking: Present in true friendships where you feel the bond but with no passion or long-term commitment

3) Infatuation: is felt as "love at first sight"

4) Empty Love: present in arranged marriages where there is commitment but no passion or intimacy has developed

5) Romantic Love: an emotional and physical bond are there through intimacy and passion

6) Companionate Love: This type of love is often found in marriages in which the passion has gone out of the relationship but a deep affection and commitment remain

7) Fatuous Love: present in relationships and marriages where a commitment is motivated largely by passion, without the stabilizing influence of intimacy

8) Consummate Love: is the complete form of love, representing an ideal relationship toward which people strive.

Of the seven varieties of love, consummate love is theorized to be that love associated with the “perfect couple”.

May you all find your consummate lovers.

3 comments:

Devil's Mind said...

Ok, thats the first time I visit this blog... And I find this as the latest entry... I am impressed!

While I am not an expert in psychology or love, I have my own theories of love. My outlook on love is pretty much different from the common perceptions of love as discussed in this post for example. [To be specific, I support open-relationships]

I remember having read about love categorizations, and they were slightly different categorizations, because this categorization depends on the three angles: Intimacy, Passion, and Commitment... They probably had few different angles that they considered.

The thing I want to say, is that in my personal opinion, "Commitment" in the traditional sense of the word is the anti-love...

I would say that formal commitment eliminates romance in any relationship.

But surely, saying what I think (especially on a public blog) is pointless if I did not explain that view. But instead of explaining things in full here, I recommend to read two blog entries that have discussed this issue of commitment:
1- Marriage Abolishes Friendly Relationships By Me
2- Good Things, Bad Things, Mundane Things - The entry that inspired me to write the above article

Hope those views will provide extra dimensions to think about.

Dana said...

Hi devil's mind and welcome to my blog.

I think that what you say is interesting. Love doesn't need to be validated by a contract because you either feel it or not. The marriage contract doesn't guarantee it will last.

Still i think marriage is the best choice for people who are in love and wish to stay together. Its a way of organizing society.

If someone loves another they should be willing to committ and its not easy but its important.

Anonymous said...

i remember this as a speech you delivered ions ago... I still like it :)

Nice to ready our blog will be sure to add it to my blog roll babe.